Aledo Lodge No. 252 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons celebrated their 150th year during 2007. The membership held a year-long celebration of various activities beginning in the fall of 2006 and culminating with a community re-dedication of the Lodge Hall by officers of the Grand Lodge of Illinois in the fall of 2007.
Masonry began in Aledo on October 7, 1857 when Aledo Lodge No. 252 AF & AM was granted a charter by the Grand Lodge of Illinois. At the time of the charter, the lodge met in the third story of a builidng standing on what is now the courthouse block. Rent was $75 per year and the lodge shared the space with the Odd Fellows. In 1877, the lodge moved to the Aledo Bank building with the rent being $100 per year. During the 1890s, the lodge members assisted with the laying of the cornerstones of the Mercer County courthouse in Aledo and the Warren County courthouse in Monmouth.
In 1900, the lodge purchased a lot for $2,300 to erect a new hall that would be a two-story 30' X 90' building costing $6,000. On August 8, 1901 ,the cornerstone of the building was laid with full Masonic ceremonies including Grand Lodge Officers.
The first floor of the lodge building has been rented by several grocery stores, a department store, furniture store, several appliance stores, an antique store, and a bowling alley. The downstairs is currently occupied by The Times Record Co.
The Lodge started a monetary scholarship for Aledo High School graduates in the late 1970s. The Lodge presents at least one $500 scholarship per year. Aledo Lodge No. 252 is also proud of its other annual charitable giving. The Lodge belongs to the Aledo Area Chamber of Commerce and Aledo Main Street.
In 2002, Charity Lodge of Seaton merged with Aledo Lodge. Since Aledo Lodge No. 252 was chartered over 800 men have joined the Lodge. Currently membership totals 117.